Search This Site

My Relative's Biography

Civil War Service Record of Anderson A. Vinyard
Anderson A. Vinyard was my g-g-g grandfather and my connection to the 48th Illinois Infantry. 

Anderson A. Vinyard mustered in 9/1/1861 at the age of 33 as a Corporal in Company C at Camp Butler, Illinois. For most of his records the military added an extra "e" in his name or Vineyard.

He contracted measles during October and November of 1861 while in camp at Cario, Illinois.

 During the battle of Fort Donelson, Tennessee he was given a field promotion to 2nd Sergeant for meritous conduct on 2/15/1862 for storming a snow covered hill side on an assault of enemy rifle pits.

 At Shiloh, Tennessee he was treated for bronchitis due to smoke from being on the front lines during the battle. He was later sent to the hospital at Camp Dennison in Ohio. He was then sent home to his Eagle Creek farm in Hardin County Illinois on sick furlough, without missing any action he rejoined the 48th in May 1862 and headed to the battle for Cornith, Mississippi.

 Anderson A Vinyard was promoted to 1st Sergeant on 11/1/1862 in Bethel, Tennessee. 1st Sergeant Anderson A Vinyard was slightly wounded by grape shot while attacking a key enemy position holding the Mississippi Central Railroad at Jackson on 7/16/1863. Again he was hospitalized at Camp Sherman in Mississippi for lung and throat disease in September of 1863 from battle smoke.

Anderson A Vinyard was promoted to 1st Lieutenant on 4/4/1864 at Scottsboro, Alabama and his official 1st Lieutenant commissioning ceremony was on 6/26/1864 while battle plans were being made for the next day's assault on Kenesaw Mountain, Georgia.

 Anderson A Vinyard was given a field promotion to Captain and full command of Company C on 7/28/1864 during the battle of Ezra Chapel, Georgia.

After leading Company C during "The March To The Sea" without injury or sickness ironically he came down with a violent cold after leading his men across Duck Creek in Febuary 1865 during the battle of Dillingham's Cross Roads in South Carolina and was treated by a doctor in the field.

Anderson A Vinyard was officially promoted to Captain on 6/19/1865 in a ceremony at Louisville, Kentucky and given Captain's pay for the time between 7/28/1864 and 6/19/1865 for serving as Company C Commander.

 On 8/12/1865 he was mustered out of service in Little Rock, Arkansas. He arrived in Springfield, Illinois on 8/21/1865 and was given his final pay and officially discharged back into civilian life. He returned to his Eagle Creek farm in Hardin County, Illinois and lived another 51 years.